the windows

Staring over the top of a laptop at the dark, rainy 3 am landscape…….the city appears to be awake with its structures aglow in rainbow light. Cars are still here and there……train horns are once every hour or so and last 10 seconds with each blow…..life is still going on as they say. The rain is constant but pacing itself at a rate barely countable. Drops topple over one another and begin to drone.

The folded curtains which drape across her bedroom window drool into my gaze like a lazy hound dog with droopy eyes and ears….shying away from the mist that sprays through the open window’s screen as this unrelenting legion of rain spits on the ground and splashes upward, yearning to be back home in the sky.

I always turn to windows, when my questions mount…..I can’t say there are answers out there but the simple pleasure I take in seeing the world that is outside of my reach provides that subtle hope for something greater and more profound than my simple mind has to offer. A window’s lifespan is permanent yet ever changing. The world that stirs and mixes reality on the backside of the pane creates beginnings, endings and middle ground for those inside to start, stop or stay the same.

Impossible it is for our windows to lie…

Comments

Popular Posts